Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Difference In Me

When I returned to the States from Mozambique; my pastor gave me a bible verse to reflect on and live by.  It was 1 Corinthians 10:23 which states: "All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify."  His exact words were, "All things are permissible; but all things do not edify."  To my understanding; being edified means being refined and instructed.  That which edifies you leads you to what is truly good, purposeful, and long-term.  It is beneficial for not only yourself; but those around you; and that's the catch.  It's not just about you; it's about those you affect.  When you are edified; you affect your environment in a positive way.  You contribute to your community and care for the well-being of others; and not just their bodies but their souls. 

I lack conviction.  I lack follow-through.  I dove right into the "all is permissible" part of the verse.  I'm yet to actively participate and initiate that which edifies. 

Here's to significant change.  Let's see which steps I take towards a better me.

Olivia-Rey

No comments:

Post a Comment